quinta-feira, 3 de setembro de 2009

Matrix

Hi, everyone!
Este mês vamos fazer um ESPECIAL MATRIX. Este filme é excelente para treinar o inglês. Não tem muitas expressões ou gírias. Esta é a cena em que Neo recebe os conselho do "Oracle". Espero que vocês gostem.


The Oracle: Well, come on. I ain't gonna bite ya. Come around here, and let me have a look at ya. My goodness, look at you! You turned out all right, didn't you? How do you feel?

Neo: I, uh...

The Oracle: I know you're not sleeping. We'll get to that. Why don't you come and have a sit this time?

Neo: Maybe I'll stand.

The Oracle: Well, suit yourself.

Neo: I felt like sitting.

The Oracle: I know. So. Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way.

Neo: You're not human, are you?

The Oracle: Well it's tough to get any more obvious than that.

Neo: If I had to guess, I'd say you're a program from the machine world. So is he.

The Oracle: So far, so good.

Neo: But if that's true, that can mean you are a part of this system, another kind of control.

The Oracle: Keep going.

Neo: I suppose the most obvious question is, how can I trust you?

The Oracle: Bingo! It is a pickle, no doubt about it. The bad news is there's no way if you can really know whether I'm here to help you or not. So it's really up to you. You just have to make up your own damn mind to either accept what I'm going to tell you, or reject it. Candy?

Neo: Do you already know if I'm going to take it?

The Oracle: Wouldn't be much of an Oracle if I didn't.

Neo: But if you already know, how can I make a choice?

The Oracle: Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now.

Neo: Why are you here?

The Oracle: Same reason. I love candy.

Neo: But why help us?

The Oracle: We're all here to do what we're all here to do. I'm interested in one thing, Neo, the future. And believe me, I know... the only way to get there is together.

Neo: Are there other programs like you?

The Oracle: Oh, well, not like me. But... Look, see those birds? At some point a program was written to govern them. A program was written to watch over the trees, and the wind, the sunrise, and sunset. There are programs running all over the place. The ones doing their job, doing what they were meant to do, are invisible. You'd never even know they were here. But the other ones, well, we hear about them all the time.

Neo: I've never heard of them.

The Oracle: Of course you have. Every time you've heard someone say they saw a ghost...

_____________________________________________

TOP 10 SENTENCES


1 - ...let me have a look at ya (you) = ...deixe-me dar uma olhada em você
Após o "let", o verbo sempre vem no infinitivo sem o "to".

2 - ...have a sit this time = ...sente-se desta vez
Também podemos dizer "sit down" (sente-se).

3 - Maybe I'll stand = Talvez eu ficarei de pé
Neste caso, MAYBE é um advérbio e significa "talvez", porém MAY BE separado, quer dizer "pode ser" / "pode estar". "May" é um "Modal Verb" usado para se referir a possibilidade de que algo aconteça. Ele pode ser acompanhado de outros verbos.

4 - Suit yourself = Como quiser
Há também outras expressões úteis para quando queremos que alguém fique a vontade. São elas:
Make yourself comfortable.
Feel free to leave, eat, speak, etc.
Be my guest.

5 - I felt like sitting = Me deu vontade de sentar
Feel like significa "ter vontade de" ou "estar a fim de", o verbo seguinte sempre vem no gerúndio.

6 - So far, so good = Até agora, tudo bem
"so far" também significa "tão longe" e há também outras expressões como por exemplo:
So far as I know = que eu saiba

7 - Keep going = Continue
"Keep going" é o mesmo que "continue", porém é mais informal.

8 - It's really up to you = Isto realmente cabe a você / você decide
Não confunda "be up to" com "up to". O primeiro já sabemos o significado e o segundo quer dizer "até".

9 - I thought you'd have figured that out by now = Pensei que a esta altura você já tivesse entendido
Esta expressão "by now" é muito útil. Para dizermos "a esta altura do compeonato" basta dizermos "by now" que também serve para: "a esta hora...".

10 - There are programs running all over the place = Há programas em execução por todo lugar
"Running" tem muitos significado interessantes. Por exemplo:
Running a company = administrando uma empresa
Running a Google Search = fazendo uma pesquisa no Google

See you next week. Bye Bye!!!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Visitas